The Egg & The Meaning Of Life

General discussion forum
Forum rules
Talk about the writing, or whatever you like. Swearing is ok, but deliberately offensive posts will be deleted.

The Egg & The Meaning Of Life

Postby AgentTruth » Mon May 14, 2012 1:56 am

The Egg story along with many others like it really changed my life. I believe this story is really the true meaning of life, and I wrote my own take on it.
I'm no professional writer or anywhere near as good as Andy, but maybe you'll appreciate this story.
I believe that when you get a chill, it's the universe telling you that you have just comprehended an absolute truth. Tell me if you get a chill when you read this.
I give anyone permission to edit or repost this story or take credit for it. I don't care. The only thing I'm interested in is provoking thought. I am simply a faceless, nameless, agent of truth.

Where I come from, everything is the same.

Everything that exists there ruthlessly consumes the everything around it, hoping that it will give the satisfaction it so desires.
It enjoys consuming these things, but when it is without them, it suffers. No matter how much it consumes, the satisfaction is never permanent.

But it still doesn't understand. "Maybe it needs more?"

So it continues it's days, consuming as much as possible.
And in the end, it has finally consumed everything, and it still isn't satisfied.
Ultimately, it dies.

If only it had understood the futility of it's efforts.
If only it had realized that all the things it wanted would eventually go away.
But it couldn't understand, it couldnt change, because It didn't even know what it was doing.

But one day, something was different.
Awareness came into this world.
There was one that saw the suffering it was causing itself.

It stopped searching.

It never needed anything at all.

It already had what it wanted all along.

It was alive. It was aware.

And it became Satisfied.

In short,
most people believe that their satisfaction lies with Power, Money, and Love.
I believe that the true meaning of life is Satisfaction without these.

That doesn't mean having them is wrong.
"Money isn't the root of all evil, the LOVE of money is the root of all evil."
AgentTruth

Re: The Egg & The Meaning Of Life

Postby emelar » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Consider:
A "means" is a "way".
A "meaning" is a "waying" or better said "an executing or a pursuing of a way" or "walking a path" or "making a journey". "The" meaning of life is about "The" making of a journey, not the goal or thing attained. And it might follow that happiness would be making the journey to an achievable goal just as unhappiness is journeying to an unachievable one. Therefore, the "true" meaning might be about following the path to goals which have been set up as being achievable. "It" or "You", "We" or "They" might be the entity doing that journeying.
You set achievable goals and then begin your journey and follow the paths to them. Satisfaction, perfection, happiness, beauty, truth, fulfillment, goodness, actualization, grace, knowledge are goals. You can surely think of many more. There might be many meanings of life. There might even not be a single "true" journeying or following of a path or a single "true" goal.
Hmmm? This is starting to sound like an expansion on the book "Siddhartha" which I read in the early 1970's.
Just a consideration.
emelar

Re: The Egg & The Meaning Of Life

Postby emelar » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:22 pm

BTW, I haven't looked yet at the Egg story, but if it's anywhere near as good as The Martian...
I found Andy's story while trying to search for the steepest grade the rover Curiosity could handle. Goals change... or perhaps they evolve?
emelar

Return to General Discussion