I saw this and thought of The Martian story

General discussion forum
Forum rules
Talk about the writing, or whatever you like. Swearing is ok, but deliberately offensive posts will be deleted.

I saw this and thought of The Martian story

Postby trickykid » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Anyone here heard of http://www.mars-one.com?

Have a look at this video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6QoEEGySGm4

Saw the vid and the website. Couldn't help but think of the Andy Weir story.
trickykid

Re: I saw this and thought of The Martian story

Postby Andy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:55 am

Yeah, I saw that in the news when it went by. It's a ridiculous claim. There is no way we could get to Mars by 2023. That's just 9 years from now.

They plan to finance it by creating the "Biggest media event in the world". Yes, it would be quite an event. But it's unlikely to generate the several hundred billion dollars that a manned mission to Mars would cost.

For reference, the Mars Science Laboratory (currently en-route to Mars) cost $3.5 billion.

-ATW
Andy
Site Admin

Postby trickykid » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Andy wrote:Yeah, I saw that in the news when it went by. It's a ridiculous claim. There is no way we could get to Mars by 2023. That's just 9 years from now.

They plan to finance it by creating the "Biggest media event in the world". Yes, it would be quite an event. But it's unlikely to generate the several hundred billion dollars that a manned mission to Mars would cost.

For reference, the Mars Science Laboratory (currently en-route to Mars) cost $3.5 billion.

-ATW

Yeah I agree that 9 years seems a tad too close.

However, I do think that private sector funding would be the way to go. Reading your story and watching those vidoes just got me day dreaming.
trickykid

Postby pablohunny » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:32 pm

Ummm, just a quick check. It is still 2012, no? Therefore 2023 is 11 years away, not 9.

That's an increase in project time of over 10%!

-A-
pablohunny

Postby Andy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Math is hard.
Andy
Site Admin

Postby trickykid » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:05 pm

Andy wrote:Math is hard.

Like the lemming I am, I didn't even bother to check if your math was correct, I just assumed.
trickykid

Return to General Discussion