Surprise endings!

General discussion forum
Forum rules
Talk about the writing, or whatever you like. Swearing is ok, but deliberately offensive posts will be deleted.

Surprise endings!

Postby Norse27 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:27 pm

I think the best surprise ending short stories in the world are from this author right here, and don't think for a second I'm not well read.

What do you guys think?

I think Andy deserves some kind of award or something!
http://www.PracticalArtifice.com
Power is Given, Control is Taken.
Norse27

Re: Surprise endings!

Postby epohdem » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:43 pm

I do like his surprises. But... have you read Jeffrey Deaver? I like his as well.
epohdem

Postby Norse27 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:42 am

epohdem wrote:I do like his surprises. But... have you read Jeffrey Deaver? I like his as well.

I'll check out Deaver too thanx for the tip! ^_^
http://www.PracticalArtifice.com
Power is Given, Control is Taken.
Norse27

Postby bonzi » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:15 pm

Norse27 wrote:I think the best surprise ending short stories in the world are from this author right here, and don't think for a second I'm not well read.

Well, surprise endings are staple of SciFi short stories (and, to lesser extent, short form in general). Andy uses them well, and some are, in my opinion, better than others: for example, I expected the "twist" in Access and The Chef, but Annie's Day got me by surprise, and The Real Deal was particularly nice. (Edit: and so was The Egg, of course.)

It is possible to over-rely on surprise endings, and writing shorts not employing them is a rewarding challenge.
Last edited by bonzi on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bonzi

Postby bonzi » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:21 pm

epohdem wrote:I do like his surprises. But... have you read Jeffrey Deaver? I like his as well.

Thanks for the recommendation. I found Danny Gillan's A Selection of Meats and Cheeses a very interesting collection, although perhaps a bit over-relying on surprise endings.
bonzi

Postby lfucker » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:42 am

This reply has a surprise fuck you.

The one and only.
lfucker

Return to General Discussion