Zoomers and stealing

General discussion forum
Forum rules
Talk about the writing, or whatever you like. Swearing is ok, but deliberately offensive posts will be deleted.

Zoomers and stealing

Postby fflawpunk » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:55 pm

I think Theft of Pride (download link) is the only thing I've read where there's a whole culture of people who don't see stealing as a crime. It's not just that there's no law for it, they really don't have a problem with it morally. Has this idea ever been used before? I think it's really creative. It'd be fun to live in / play a game set in a universe like this, where you could take anything.

Thank you for this book and all your writings!
Last edited by fflawpunk on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fflawpunk

Re: Zoomers and stealing

Postby Norse27 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:23 pm

Could you hit me with a link to read the story?
http://www.PracticalArtifice.com
Power is Given, Control is Taken.
Norse27

Postby epohdem » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:41 pm

Here's the link:

http://www.galactanet.com/writing.html

Scroll to the bottom.
epohdem

Postby Andy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:12 pm

Disclaimer:

I personally think "Theft of Pride" is some of my weakest writing. I wrote it a long time ago, and I've had a lot of practice and experience since then. The plot has merit, but the prose and style is really awkward. I've considered removing it from the site outright.
Andy
Site Admin

Postby Casey » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:18 pm

That being said, the Zoomer (GRRRRRR I hate that name so much!) species, including that particular cultural quirk, was well-defined for a decade before he wrote Theft of Pride.

The story takes place in a genre we originally established for tabletop roleplaying, called "Exploration". I believe all of the races mentioned in the story are playable races, and are obsessively accurate to the original source where it existed, because Andy is nothing if not obsessive. :D

-c.

p.s. I have suggested several alternatives to "Zoomer", all of which draw from the basic linguistic patterns we established for the species, but the original name was too entrenched in our minds, and we kept reverting to it.
Casey

Postby Sneak » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:31 am

Andy wrote:Disclaimer:

I personally think "Theft of Pride" is some of my weakest writing. I wrote it a long time ago, and I've had a lot of practice and experience since then. The plot has merit, but the prose and style is really awkward. I've considered removing it from the site outright.

No! I have not read it yet but never forget what got you where you are. It may not be your finest piece or art but it should always hang from the wall as one of YOUR pieces.
Sneak

Postby TorqueStone » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:24 pm

Sneak wrote:

No! I have not read it yet but never forget what got you where you are. It may not be your finest piece or art but it should always hang from the wall as one of YOUR pieces.

I agree, and I have read it(twice, actually). Personally, I prefer it to a few of your short stories because of the depth you were able to put into it. I remember wondering if "Jack Sharp" was someone else you were posting for, as I recognized the style/prose differences you mentioned, but I didn't think they were worse, just a similar different. Although all writing is not created equal, it's still a great story with the type of writing that your fans enjoy.
TorqueStone

Postby AndrewM16921 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

I disagree! I really enjoyed it. I couldn't put it down (well, that is, the laptop anyway) once I started reading it. It's actually one of my favorites.
AndrewM16921

Postby irwaffles » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:00 am

"Theft of Pride" is a personal favorite of mine. I've read it twice now. If you feel that it's not your best, I think you should instead consider rewriting some of the parts you didn't like, or rewriting the story (or a diff. story with a diff. style) as a whole as opposed to straight up removing it. I would definitely re-read again and even consider buying it if you were to put it up on an iTunes/Kindle store kind of deal.
irwaffles

Postby bonzi » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:04 pm

Andy wrote: I've considered removing it from the site outright.

OK, I have it downloaded and secure in my Kindle archive :D

Don't remove anything, Andy - writers grow, there is no shame in one's beginnings.
bonzi

Return to General Discussion